Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Revised Common Lectionary


Thoughts for the future...

A version of the Revised Common Lectionary (that has not yet been finalized for the Episcopal Church) was offically passed by General Convention this year as the lectionary for the Episcopal church. Personally, I find it troubling that any church would approve of a lectionary that hasn't yet been finished. Be that as it may. In any case, I am doing a complete and thorough analysis (something that also strangely was not available to any delegates at Convention) of the draft ECUSA version of the RCL. I am teaching a class on this at Saint Mary's on October 1st and I will post my results here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Father: having used the RCL for the past four years I can understand your apprehension but thought I'd share a brief comment. (being a Lutheran I promise not to nail anything on your door)

Not sure how the lectionary was presented as being "incomplete" or unfinished. There are variants based on the Church Year - most notable, the numbering of Sunday's in Ordinary Time. I've found this to be a useful tool in expanding the teaching moment in my sermons. We are hearing texts that have gone unnoticed in the old LBW lectionary. No doubt you will too.

Perhaps the greatest benefit to date has been the ecumenical dimension of the RCL. Sharing a common bond with those outside the Lutheran community has been both challenging and deeply enriching.

My love for St Mary's goes back to my first visit in 1983. While the past 9-10 years I've not been able to worship there as often, I hold a deep affection for your wonderful community. May the RCL be part of the renewal of St. Mary's spiritual life. That the church is "constantly being reformed" is not only very Lutheran, but I suspect, very Anglican indeed.

Randy Steinman
Redeemer, Neptune NJ