Sunday, May 21, 2006

Growing Peppers

Preached on Sunday, May 21, 2006 at Solemn Evensong & Benediction.
(Year 2, Easter 6, Sunday Evening Prayer: Ecclesiasticus 43:1-12, 27-32; James 1:2-8, 16-18;
John 6:27-35)


My wife and I have a garden on our roof-deck. Knowing that I am a novice gardener, suppose you and I were on the roof deck, and I showed you an empty flower pot and said: “Look, I’m growing chili peppers!”. You might say: “Where? I don’t see anything.” I would say: “Oh, I guess they haven’t started growing yet, so you can’t see them.” You might say: “Ah, when did you plant them?” “Oh, no”, I would say, “I haven’t planted them yet.” You would probably say to me: “You aren’t growing peppers at all. Saying you are growing them isn’t the same as actually growing them. You need to plant them and take care of them as they grow. That’s what it means to be a gardener.”

In general, the Epistle of Saint James is concerned with the problem of Christians who claim to have faith, but don’t act out that faith in their lives. This is what he is talking about when he warns all believers not to be double-minded. He says that if Christians truly are the first fruits of the new creation, then they ought to look like it.

The church has always been concerned that for some faith is nothing more than hollow words, you might say that the Epistle of James is the official voice of this concern. Taken to the extreme, this can be used to prove that someone is a Christian while someone else is not. I don’t think that James is raising a bar that is impossible to live up to, nor do I think that he overly concerned with the occasional test of my faith that I pass or fail, instead I think he is offers an encouraging reminder that being a Christian is more than just claiming to be a Christian.

To return to the garden image, he’s not concerned with how big the chili peppers have grown, nor is concerned with the fact that sometimes I forget to water the chili peppers or even with the fact that on some days I just don’t want to water them. He’s concerned with that fact that I am telling you I am growing chili peppers when I haven’t even planted them.

James encourages everyone who says they believe in Jesus to continue moving towards Christ. Saint James is not scolding me for being a bad gardener, instead he’s offering his help on where I can get some seeds, and how I should plant them, and what I need to do to make sure they grow. He’s not going to report me to God because I was too lazy to water my garden for three days in a row, instead he is reminding me that I won’t have any chili peppers if I don’t water my garden. He’s not condemning me to hell because of the fact that my chili peppers were fewer and smaller than they could have been, instead he’s comforting me with the fact that I can become a more experienced gardener over time if I put my heart into it and if I carefully tend my garden.

I think that on some level being a gardener is actually very similar to being a Christian.

Being a Christian is more than just a title, more than just an occasional checkup; its a way of life. Sometimes what we have grown does wither a little bit or doesn’t grow as well as it might, but enduring such trials brings the knowledge that what has withered can grow strong again. Enduring trials also brings that knowledge that a little more care and maintenance can prevent going through the trial the next time around.

Saint James also teaches that encouragement is more than telling someone else that they are wrong. Encouragement is offering guidance to those who are in doubt, offering a helping hand to those who are in need, and being there to say that our Lord loves us regardless of what fruit we grow.

No comments: