Thursday, October 30, 2008

Evensong Sermon for October 26, 2008




The prophet Haggai was active after the Jews returned from exile in Babylon. The situation is fairly straightforward. The people have come back and have rebuilt their homes, but they have not yet rebuilt the destroyed temple. Haggai’s message is not one of condolence, but rather one of reprimand. Why is it, the Lord asks, after having been back for a number of years, that the people have managed to build for themselves beautiful homes, while the temple remains in ruins?

Presumably the Jews returning to Jerusalem meant to rebuild the temple as soon as they were settled in, but year after year passed and the project was continually put off. In modern day terms, we refer to that as deferred maintenance. We recognize that there is a problem, but now is not a good time to deal with the problem; maybe next year there will be enough time, maybe next year there will be enough resources. We’ll get it done eventually…

The question that I want to ask is this: Does it really matter that much if you are willing to put it off in the first place?

But I’m not sure that’s fair. Every organization, every group, ever family, and every individual has priorities. In the real world, sometimes things that shouldn’t slip through the cracks still manage to slip through the cracks. I’m not sure how helpful it is to question someone’s commitment because things aren’t what they should be. I think a better way of approaching a problem is this: “Here is a problem, now lets get through it together.” That’s is Haggai’s approach, and I think it’s a good one. He encourages the people to follow through on the commitment they already have.

Its not a secret that the economy is a mess right now. Its not a secret that everyone is looking at their priorities and trying to figure out what really matters. At the top of my list is my commitment to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and I believe that’s probably the same for all Christians. Why? I have never been let down by the Lord, he has always been by my side and that has been most obvious when the world seems the darkest and most difficult. I hope nobody questions the commitment that you and I have to Jesus and to his church.

Of course, I’m concerned about the future, but worries and difficult times don’t change my commitment to Jesus or my commitment to making sure that Saint Mary’s continues being the wonderful place that it is.

Our stewardship campaign for 2009 begins in the next few weeks. Last year was a great success because so many people love this wonderful church and want to see it thrive. I hope you will join me in continuing to support Saint Mary’s mission of spreading the good news of Christ to the people of Times Square and New York City. Money is always helpful, but please don’t assume that’s the only way to support the church or its mission. In my opinion, the best way to support any church is to tell someone why you love the Lord and why you love the church. Then Jesus and Saint Mary’s will be at the top of their list of priorities too.

No comments: