Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sermon on Prayer: Sunday, Epiphany 6, 2009


Today’s readings offer three different responses top prayer. The Gospel is about a simple, straightforward request of Jesus with a direct and immediate response. The OT passage is also a straightforward request, but the response is not what Naaman wants or expects. Finally, the Psalm offers the feeling we have all had when a prayer seems to go unanswered. The Psalmist laments that those around him constantly make fun of him, saying: Where now is your God?” To me, that seems very similar to Jesus crying out just before he died: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!” Three different responses to prayer, and I think its fair to say we’ve all experienced all three.

In the Gospel we hear of a prayer immediately heard and granted. I recently have noted the vast amount of healing that Jesus does in Saint Mark’s gospel. There are so many healed just like the leper we heard about to day, but at the same time, there were doubtless many others who never had the opportunity to cry out to Jesus as he walked by, who never had the opportunity to be one of those in the crowd who saw him face to face, or heard his voice or touched his hand or even the hem of his garment.

A few years ago I discovered a number of prayers folded up behind the crucifix in the Mercy Chapel. Some were older and others were newer, but they all seemed to be written by the same hand. They all asked for a new job… today. “Lord, help me to find a new job today.” “Jesus, today I need a job.” “Lord Jesus, give me the job I am interviewing for today.” It made me sad because the prayers had been specific, and they had been sincere, they were the prayers that many people are praying today, and yet they had not been immediately answered.

I have trouble with that, and I don’t know if there is a simple or satisfying way to explain it.

I think its for that reason that many of my prayers are general prayers. “Bless my wife. Bless my son. Bless the baby. Keep them healthy. Show them the face of your Son, Jesus Christ.” These are the type of prayers I say every night, along with the Lord’s Prayer and a few other standards. They are good prayers, and they are direct, but I don’t think they are very specific.

Sometimes I do say specific prayers, but it takes more of an effort to say a specific prayer, I would argue that it takes more courage. Usually when my prayers get specific its because I’ve reached a point where it seems only God can help me.

Two weeks ago I celebrated and preached at Candlemas for the big Solemn Mass and Procession. A week before the service I started working on my sermon. By Saturday I had a few interesting tidbits, but no real content… no substance. By chance I spoke to my father that Saturday morning at 11:15 AM, and the fact that I didn’t have a sermon came up. He didn’t say: “you’ll think of something, keep working on it.” Instead he said a prayer for me, praying specifically for my sermon. I said thanks, hung up. I grabbed my laptop computer and went to the Sacristy for the thirty minutes I had before getting ready for the noonday Mass. Over the next half hour I wrote my entire sermon for Candlemas.

That day my prayer and my father’s prayer was answered immediately. It was a wonderful thing, but I can tell you that many of the specific prayers I pray don’t get answered like that, and that’s why I think it was so special.

I believe all of us suffer and struggle and go through periods where it doesn’t feel like anyone is on our side, not even God, I think we have all had moments where we have wanted to cry out: My God, my God, why have you forsaken me!” I also believe that we all know what its like when it seems God answers our prayers immediately. Jesus prayed in the garden before his Passion. Jesus knew exactly what its like to feel that he was going to die before his prayer was answered.

For that reason, praying takes courage and praying takes patience. But I want you to know from the bottom of my heart, that I believe all of our prayers are heard and answered.

Sometimes that answer is incredibly direct and immediate – like how I felt writing my Candlemas sermon. Other times that answer makes me feel like Naaman, not satisfied at first because I was hoping for something a little different. And of course, there are plenty of things that I have prayed specifically for that I am still waiting on, and more importantly, that I am still praying for. Whenever I pray, I know God is listening. I don’t feel a hand on my shoulder. I don’t hear a voice that responds with kind words. I know that God hears my prayer because I always experience a response.

Most often, I experience the closeness and love of God. When I pray for someone and I worry that he or she isn’t going to get well, I am sad, but at the same time my heart leaps for joy as it is filled with the knowledge of the resurrection. I know that life doesn’t end with paid or suffering or even, death, but because of the love of God, the thundering silence of death is answered with the resurrection and the gift of eternal life for all of us.

When I pray for difficult times to get better and I am sure that things will get worse before they get better, whether its praying with friends for a new job or praying for the economy to improve, I take comfort in the fact that Jesus himself suffered with us and for us, that he prayed with and for his friends, and that he went through life and death, just like all of us, before rising again from the grave.

When I ask God to bless me, my family, or my friends, or my church, I always experience a clear understanding of the many ways God has already and will continue to bless and me and those around me.

And so if you are afraid to say a specific prayer, don’t be – please don’t be. If you are afraid nobody is listening, have faith that God is always listening and always responding. Remember that half of praying is asking, but the other half is listening for an answer. Pray boldly and pray specifically. If you aren’t sure what to pray for: Pray for yourself. Pray for your family and your friends. Pray for your enemies. Pray for peace. Pray for justice and mercy. Pray for this church and all churches. Pray for specific things. Prayer for the big picture. And pray for the courage to pray even more boldly and more often.

No comments: