Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Two by Two


YEAR 2, PROPER 9 (14TH WEEK OF ORDINARY TIME), WEDNESDAY, MASS:
PSALM 105:1-7, HOSEA 10:1-3,7-8,12; MATTHEW 10:1-7


Today's Gospel account narrates the first time the Twelve apostles are sent out by Jesus. They are named in pairs. Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zeb'edee, and John his brother; Philip and Bartholomew... and so on. Traditionally, this pairing has been seen to indicate that the apostles were sent out in pairs.

I think its very important to note that the apostles were not sent out alone. Christians go through good and bad times, times of clear faith and also times of deep doubt. Recall that even Saint Peter denied Jesus, and he did that when all the other disciples had fled and he alone had followed Jesus.

I need the support of those around me, just as the apostles, like Saint Peter did. Whatever work you and I do in the name of Jesus Christ our Savrior, I pray that we may be supported and surrounded by other Christians who can show the love of God to us and to others in ways that you and I might not be able to do alone.

No comments: