Sunday, February 18, 2007

...all nations


Sermon preached at Evensong & Benediction on February 18, 2007.

Year 1, Last Epiphany, Sunday, Evensong and Benediction:
Ecclesiasticus 48:1-11, John 12:24-32; 1 Corinthians 10:16-17


This morning my son was baptized. From my perspective as a priest at Saint Mary’s and as a Christian, the most exciting thing that happens throughout the church year is when someone is baptized. As a priest in at Saint Mary’s I am thrilled that we have gained a new member. But as a Christian that I am even happier because when someone is baptized we are living out the great commission which Jesus gave to us before his ascension to the Father: “Go make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

In our Gospel Lesson Jesus says of his coming glory “when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all men to myself”. As a parent, one way I can be a part of that drawing of all people to Christ is to have my children baptized and raise both to follow Christ and to lead others to him. As a priest I can preach the gospel from the pulpit in an effort to tell others that God loves them so much that he offers eternal life to everyone. As a Christian I can follow the example set by saints who spread the Gospel to others. Last week we celebrated the life of Thomas Bray, an English priest who lived about 400 years ago. One of the things that he is most famous for is having spent some time in America questioning chastising Christians who refused to treat black slaves and American Indians as people and therefore refused to spread the Gospel to them.

Today is the last Sunday before Lent. Often people find things to give up for Lent. Often people add acts of piety or devotion, such as attending Daily Mass or Stations of the Cross. I believe those are noble things to do in Lent. In addition, I think that Lent can also be a time to reflect and act on our calling to spread the Gospel to all nations and ensure that the whole world is drawn to Jesus.

No comments: