Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Apprenticeship of Wilhelm Meister


One of my favorite books, which I began rereading again at the end of my vacation - I haven't had much time to read lately, but I'm working through it - is by Goethe; its called the Apprenticeship of Wilhelm Meister.

The book follows Wilhelm's attempt to escpape the confinement of every day life... something which actually rings fairly true to many people today. Where he ends up... well that's all part of the story. I won't spoil the book, but its a good read, but his escape turns out to be a road to self-realization and a path to maturity of a sort he never imagined.

As Christians its helpful to remember that we don't always see exactly the path we are on. One thing is certain, if we are following Christ, it means confessing Jesus who died and rose on our lips and in our hearts.

No comments: